We and our third party partners use technology such as cookies on our site. This is to give you a better experience, analyse how you and other visitors use this website and show you relevant, tailored advertisements. By using this website you agree to the use of cookies. You can read our Cookies Policy using the link in the footer of this page.

Accept cookies

A drivers guide to driving in the UK
Bus DriversCar DriversCrane DriversHGV DriversBike RidersQuad BikesTaxi DriversTractor Drivers

Driver Minimum Age Requirements

• Electrically assisted pedal cycle

• Mopeds
• Cars (this applies to people receiving the mobility component of disability living allowance at the higher level)
• Small agricultural tractors
• Small mowing machines or any other small pedestrian controlled vehicle

• Motorbikes up to 125cc power
• Cars
• Large agricultural tractors
• Small road rollers

• In England, Wales and Scotland, vans and lorries if you are a member of the young driverís scheme
• In Northern Ireland, minibuses with between nine and 16 passenger seats towing a trailer up to 750kg if you are a member of the armed forces
• Medium lorries (in N. Ireland, medium lorries of between 3,500kg and 7,500kg towing a trailer up to 750kg

• Large road-roller
• All other vehicles

Visiting another country

You may use your GB licence for driving in other European Community/European Economic Area [EC/EEA] member states. However, you should note that while the minimum age for driving a car in GB is 17 individual member states may apply their own age restrictions for entitlements. The member states are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Republic of Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain and Sweden. Check with a motoring organisation if you want to drive in a non-EC/EEA country. They will advise you whether you need an International Driving Permit.

International driving permit

An international driving permit (IDP) is a formal document issued to visitors to another country which translates details of a driving licence into several languages, enabling foreign authorities to interpret the driving entitlements held, their validity periods and the identity of the holder. They are issued by the Automobile Association (The AA), Royal Automobile Club (RAC), RSAC and Green Flag Motoring Assistance Recovery Club.

To get an IDP, you must be resident in GB, have passed a driving test and be over 18 years of age. The fee for a permit is £5.50.

Home | Contact us | Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Cookie Policy |   © 2019 UK Webwise.com Limited